CYNGOR CYMUNED SESSWICK
SESSWICK COMMUNITY COUNCIL
Local Government (Wales) Measure 2011, Section 116
Notice of Co-option
Notice is hereby given that Sesswick Community Council intends to co-opt one member to fill the vacancy that exists in the office of councillor for the Sesswick community at its meeting on 24th May 2019
Expressions of interest are being sought from members of the public who meet the following qualifications and are interested in representing their community on the aforementioned council.
You must be a British, Commonwealth or European Union citizen and be 18 years of age or older. Additionally, you must meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Registered as a local government elector in the area named above; or
- During the whole of the last twelve months occupied, as owner or tenant, land or other premises in the community named above; or
- Your principal or only place of work during the last twelve months has been in the community named above; or
- You have during the whole of the last twelve months resided in the community or within 4.8 kilometers of it
Certain people are disqualified from standing. These include:
- paid officers of the community council,
- anyone subject to bankruptcy restrictions or interim orders
- those subject to sentences of imprisonment within the last five years of over three months’ duration (whether suspended or not) without the option of a fine
The council currently meets on the penultimate Friday evening of alternate months (January, March, May, July, September and November). Meetings typically start at 6pm and last for around 2 ½ hours. There is the opportunity to represent the council on outside bodies, and training is available for new members.
If you wish to be considered for co-option, please contact the clerk (by letter or email- contact details below) explaining how you meet the above eligibility criteria and why you feel you would be a suitable councillor.
The deadline for applications to be received by the clerk is 5pm on Thursday 16th May 2019. Please note that this information provided by candidates will be given to councillors prior to the meeting for their consideration.
Candidates will not be considered for co-option without these details having been provided to the clerk by 16th May.
If an application is received from only one eligible candidate, then he/ she will be co-opted to Sesswick Community Council at the 24th May 2019 meeting without a vote being required. The clerk will confirm this to be candidate prior to the meeting.
Should there be more than one eligible candidate for the current vacancy, then councillors will vote (in public) on the candidate to be co-opted. The clerk will inform candidates of the exact process for this prior to the meeting
Before any vote, candidates will have the opportunity to address members or to answer any questions, for a maximum of three minutes per candidate.
For more information on the role of a community councillor or on the co-option process, please contact
Cllr John Hurst Ian Griffiths
Oaklea School Farm
1 Maes-Y-Nant Cottages Holt Road
Kiln Lane Cross Lanes
Cross Lanes Wrexham
Wrexham LL13 0TU
LL13 OTH Tel: 01978 780387
Tel: 01978 781220 Email: email@example.com
Clerk: …Ian Griffiths…………………………………. Dated: ……31st March 2019……………………